Monday 25 February 2013

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks review

Albums that burnt your soul.

Before I play this, I get a sense of anticipation, knowing that
I will enjoy this from start to finish. As "Holidays In The Sun"
kicks off, the drums sounding like marching jackboots - the
opening chords and the sneered vocals off "Cheap holidays
in other peoples misery" all combine to create an electric shock
that still to this day puts a shiver down my spine.


Back in the misty days of punk, every band seemed to have their
album out before the Pistols. I had the bootleg "Spunk" - which
was a collection of demos - but I wanted the real thing. Matlock
had gone by this time and the rumours were that Steve Jones
was going to play all the bass parts.

Despite the slight disappointment that all 4 singles were featured,
when I got the day-glo cover home and dropped the needle, I
knew that this was MY album.

Jones had overdubbed the fuck out of his guitars to produce a
massive sound which I still think is unsurpassed to this day. With
the best rock'n'roll vocalist since Elvis or Lennon, this blew away
anything I had heard before.

I have many albums or tracks that can transport me to a time or place
but this summons up emotions of joy, savageness, familiarity and
a feeling that just makes me want to shout out at the world. With a
running order that just kills, this - for me - is one of the most complete
pieces of music I own.

No comments:

Post a Comment