Monday 3 March 2014

A Letter of Apology to CONAN

Dear members of Conan,
I have foolishly ignored you for the last couple of years.
When "Monnos" came out in 2012 I thought it was quite good
but nothing special.


In 2013 I was at the London Desertfest and tried to get into the 
Underworld to see you but due to the size of the crowd could only 
see the very edge of a bass-rig and nothing else. After a while,
I wandered off to the next band. You sounded really good live though.

Maybe these guys will never be able to translate the live shows
into an album. Yeah, I actually thought that.

And now I have heard "Blood Eagle."

And now I am wearing a pair of horse-hair boxers and putting
sand in my eyes.

And now I am eating dung and smearing ashes on my face
and cutting myself with rusty razor blades.

What is that definable element that makes something good into
excellent? A slight perception in song arrangements? A semi-tone
lower in the audio spectrum.? A couple of years more exposure
to the underground world of sludge/doom?

Conan have produced something special in the world of heaviness.
This is an unstoppable juggernaut of sound and power.
Nothing will ever sound the same again.
This is one of this years albums.

I will never doubt you again,

All the best,

Tony

"Hither came Conan the Band, black-haired, sullen-eyed, guitars in hand, 
thieves, reavers, slayers, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, 
to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under their booted feet."

2 comments:

  1. Conan are my favourite doom band. They got me into the world of doom big time. I can't wait to hear Blood Eagle.

    ReplyDelete